Important information for EU workers living in the UK

With Brexit fast approaching, many EU workers may be feeling uncertain about their future ability to work in the UK.

The UK Government is setting up an EU Settlement Schemewhich will allow you to continue living and working in the UK after 31 December 2020.

Stay in the UK 
for as long as you like. 

How to apply

This information is correct at the date of publishing: 15 October, 2018

If you get settled status, you can:

Apply for British Citizenship 
if you meet the requirements.

Any children born in the UK after you've got settled status will automatically be British Citizens

You should be able to spend up to 5 years in a row outside of the UK without losing your settled status.

The EU Settlement Scheme will open fully by March 2019.

The deadline for applying will be 30 June 2021.  You may be able to apply after this date if you're joining a family member with settled or pre-settled status in the UK.

You can sign up now for email updates, to find out when the scheme opens.

Sign up for email updates

Who should apply?

To be eligible for settled status, you'll usually need to:

  • be an EU citizen, or a family member of an EU citizen
  • have been living in the UK continuously for 5 years (‘continuous residence’)
  • have started living in the UK by 31 December 2020

If you’ve lived in the UK for less than 5 years, you’ll generally be eligible for ‘pre-settled status’ instead.  You’ll need to apply even if you’re an EU citizen married to a British citizen.

Frequently Asked Questions

Q:  How much does it cost to apply?

The fee to apply will be:

Q:  What if I am from outside the EU?

You’ll need to provide proof of your relationship to your EU citizen family member (for example, a birth, marriage or civil partnership certificate). You’ll be able to scan and submit this through the online application form. 

You’ll also need to provide evidence of your family member’s identity and residence.

Q:  I have a criminal conviction, can I still apply?

If you’re over 18 you’ll be asked about your criminal history in the UK and overseas. You’ll also be checked against the UK’s crime databases.

If you’ve only been convicted of a minor crime, for example you’ve had a speeding fine, you’ll still be eligible for settled or pre-settled status.

You may still get settled or pre-settled status even if you have other convictions. This will be judged on a case-by-case basis.  If you’ve been to prison, you’ll usually need at least 5 years’ continuous residence from the day you were released to be considered for settled status.

If you want to learn more about the UK Government's new Settlement Scheme, please visit their website:

UK Gov - Settled Status

Q:  I won't have been living in the UK for five years by 2020, can I still apply?

You can apply for ‘pre-settled status’ instead.  This means you can stay in the UK for a further 5 years from the date you get pre-settled status. Once you have 5 years’ continuous residence you can apply for settled status.   

You may be able to get settled status in less than 5 years in certain situations.